Data centers globally require 1.5x the energy of NYC. It takes a lot to power the cloud (great infographic) (Clean Technica)
- 1 data center = 25,000 US houses.
- 5.75 million new serves are installed every year to keep up with demand for more online services.
- By using virtualization, we can reduce power demand by 27 percent.
Bali coral reefs reveal nine new species (Live Science)
- “A bubble coral that resembles underwater daisies and a decorated garden eel are among the nine potentially new species discovered in Bali’s coral reefs, researchers just announced.”
NASA: April tied for 4th hottest on record globally (Climate Progress)
- “And that’s in spite of the fact that we are still in the tail end of a major La Niña and just coming out of “the deepest solar minimum in nearly a century.” April 2011 is surpassed in warmth only by 2005, 2007, and 2010. It tied with 2002 and just beat 1998.”
Want to make cleaner beaches and oceans? There’s an app for that, from NOAA (NOAA)
- This tool allows users to report the type of debris and its location, utilizing smartphones built-in GPS.
- The app is available for iPhone and Android.
Information leak: Amazon deforestation increases sharply while forest code debated (Mongabay)
- “According to Folha.com, deforestation in Mato Grosso climbed 43% between August 2010 and April 2011 compared with the same period last year. Mato Grosso, which accounts for the bulk of Amazon deforestation in most years, is a bellwether for deforestation trends in Brazil.”