More than 600 new species have been discovered on Madagascar since 1999 (Mother Nature Network)
- Deforestation, unfortunately, is making it easier to discover new species.
Green search engine Ecosia has raised more than $330,000 for the Amazonian rainforest (TreeHugger)
- The search engine also runs its own serves on green energy.
Chinese officials says China faces a “very grave” environmental situation (Yale Environment 360)
- “Troubling challenges remain, including increased degradation of the nation’s rural areas, recurrent instances of heavy metal pollution, and lingering drought conditions that have damaged many of the nation’s waterways.”
What would you call an 8-foot worm? A worm from hell, of course (Mother Nature Network)
- “Scientists have discovered the deepest multicellular life, a worm species, a mile underground in a mine in South Africa.”
Acoustics experts are working on making wind turbines quieter (TreeHugger)
- “Having a better understanding of what causes the noise will not only help reduce it, but it could also help with wind farm siting to minimize any inconveniences to people living in the area. It’s still better than living next to a coal plant, but that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t strive to make a good clean technology even better.”