71% of Americans now say tackling climate change should be a priority (TreeHugger)
- “Equally fascinating is this — 91% of Americans say that ‘developing sources of clean energy should be a very high (32%), high (35%), or medium (24%) priority for the president and Congress, including 97 percent of Democrats, 89 percent of Independents, and 85 percent of Republicans.’”
Current carbon releases faster than at any time on record (Mongabay)
- “The Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum (PETM), a period of global warming that occurred nearly 56 million years ago due to massive releases of greenhouse gases, is frequently referenced as an analogue for projected climate change. However, recent findings suggest the current rate of carbon release is almost 10 times as rapid as at the peak of the PETM—and that biological systems may be significantly less able to adapt.”
Apples beat out celery as the most contaminated produce when it comes to pesticides (TreeHugger)
- Despite being washed and peeled, 98 percent of Apples had pesticide residue on them.
- The Dirty Dozen list are the 12 fruits and vegetables that have the most pesticides on them.
Plastic bag makers sue reusable bag maker (Oceana)
- Reusable bag maker Chico Bag is being sued for allegedly exaggerating the dangers of plastic bags to the environment.
Pay TV set-top boxes hike electric bills, waste energy (phantom power is a budget and environment buster) (USA Today)
- “When not displaying or recording video content, U.S. TV set-top boxes continue to use almost as much power as when they are in use.”